Another long entry into the TOP TEN! These are getting wordy and tough!
Review:
Day 16- Super Mario Bros. 3
Day 17:
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
-Super Nintendo (Later again on Game Boy Advance) April 13, 1992
I had accidentally told some one a few days ago that The Legend of Zelda was NOT in my top 10 or even my top 25. As you can see in this post, I was clearly mistaken and did not have my master list in front of me.
Many will question as to why THIS particular Zelda game made it and NOT Ocarina of Time. there is a simple reason for this. I HATE Ocarina of Time. I REALLY DO. I do not want to turn this entry into "why I hate Ocarina of Time", that's another blog for another day.
The actual reason is that I found Link to the Past to be far superior and much more enjoyable. The funny thing is I did not play this game until WAY after it had come out. I did not own a SNES during it's proverbial "time in the sun". My parents did not want to shell out the 200 dollars back then to upgrade me from my NES. I think my mom's words were, "they are just gonna pull this shit every few years and put out a new one to get our money"
Fast forward to many years later. My brother had gotten an SNES way late in its life cycle on the whim of my dad and he later abandoned it once he got his Playstation 2. I took possession of it and proceeded to seek out old SNES games to finally play them. My first time working at Gamestop in 2001 facilitated this as I dug up all sorts of rare and awesome games. One that was not so rare, but I had always wanted to play was Link to the Past.
I had watched my best friend in middle school play through most of LTTP, and it looked so great, but I did not have a SNES and therefore not able to play it. My only alternative at that point was my Game Boy. I had played Link's Awakening long ago on that old grey brick, and that game was heavily inspired by Link to the Past.
Now that my prolonged exposition is over, LTTP was in my opinion the best because (like yesterdays entry) it took an already good game (the original Legend of Zelda) and expanded upon it to create an even more expansive adventure with more story and action. The beauty of the game of how each new item or ability opens up a new area, this concept helps any player of any experience make their way through the game. Even the younger version of me who relied on strategy guides and obviously did not have one for this older game. The dungeons were puzzles with solutions that were obvious but not easy and contained bosses that were tough but could be defeated with skill and logic. It is 2.5D Zelda in all its glory and my favorite Zelda game of all time.
Tomorrow we hit another game from this era, specifically from 1994.
No comments:
Post a Comment