Another one that was a bit of a panic due to work and lack of preparation. Gotta hustle this one out off the top of my head.
To recap:
-Day 1: Metroid: Other M
-Day 2: Batman: Arkham Asylum
-Day 3: inFAMOUS
-Day 4: Street Fighter 4
-Day 5: Rock Band 2
-Day 6: Portal
-Day 7: Bioshock
-Day 8: God of War
-Day 9: Lumines
-Day 10: Halo 2
And now Day 11
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
-Gamecube (also on Playstation 2, Xbox and PC) November 21, 2003
The fall of 2003 provided a whole bunch of awesome games. This was around the time I had returned to work at the "stop" that sells games and I was surrounded by these damn things.
This game in particular I did not really care for initially, I thought it was just another old franchise dredged up to capitalize on an old name, a staple of the game industry. Even after many reviews had sung it's praises, I was still indifferent due to many other games I was preoccupied with (a few of which you will hear about later) but eventually after some time, I did pick up the game used during a "buy 2 get one free sale" for my GameCube.
Yes, my GameCube. A this point in time I only had a GameCube and a Game Boy Advance because I was recovering from spending the previous 5 years paying for college on my own and dealing with a regular car payment. Heck, I only had the GameCube then for maybe 4 months. I went years with just a PS1 and a Game Boy Advance. Thats all I could afford. Borrowing RPGs for my PS1 and buying one GBA game every 6 months. (This thought has made an angry gamer blog idea pop in my head)
Getting back to the point, I finally played the darn game. WOW, not what I had expected at all. Just WOW. If God of War was an action movie, then Prince of Persia is a thoughtful piece of modern art. Forcing you to think to escape a puzzle-like room, smooth flowing artistic combat, and the greatest feature of all: being able to reverse time. YES! I JUST SAID THAT!
REVERSING TIME!!!
If you take a wrong turn and kill yourself on a wall of spikes? REWIND IT BACK! You misjudge a jump and are falling to your doom? FLIP THAT SHIT BACK! An enemy gets the better of you and runs you through with their fancy curved sword? LETS TRY IT AGAIN without DEATH!
While it was limited and consumed a limited, but refillable resource, it was easily used and seamlessly integrated into the game without making it feel broken or overused.
The game also did several other little things like have the prince's uniform show it's wear and tear over the course of the game and have a princess who did not need saving, but bailed your ass out on several occasions. Another well crafted game that impressed the hell out of me.
Tomorrow, another Fall 2003 game of awesome fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment