No snappy intro today, need to put these thoughts to keyboard.
To review:
-Day 1: Metroid: Other M
-Day 2: Batman: Arkham Asylum
-Day 3: inFAMOUS
-Day 4: Street Fighter 4
-Day 5: Rock Band 2
-Day 6: Portal
-Day 7: Bioshock
-Day 8: God of War
Now, Day 9
Lumines
-Playstation Portable, (March 22, 2005)
This one game was the justification for my purchase of a PSP. This amazing puzzle game grabbed me and did not release me for months!
It really was not supposed to be the primary game for my PSP way back in March of 2005, I had intended to be playing Metal Gear Ac!d from day one and Lumines was just tossed in because I really like puzzle games and it had received very good reviews. I tried out MGA and it was not good. I then popped in Lumines and promptly lost several months of my life. It was like Tetris merged with Puzzle Fighter on crack. Tetsuya Mizuguchi created a game that combined puzzle with music. It was a different type of rhythm game where every move you made with a piece affected the beat and the music.
The worst part was that I became obsessed with maxing out the high score. It consumed so much of my free time outside of work. I wanted to see 999,999 on the damn scoreboard. It took months of practice to survive the game for 2.5 hours, the amount roughly needed to achieve a maxed out high score.
Once I hit it, it seemed like I would have no reason to ever play the game again. A year or so later I got the itch to play. I dusted off the unused PSP and tried to find out if I still had the skills to topple that mountain again. This game will NEVER get old or repetitive for me. I could pop it in again today and still feel the crazy urge to play endlessly.
Tomorrow we hit 2004 with a genre I normally hate and detest with all my heart, but one game from that genre earned my respect and a place on this list.
No comments:
Post a Comment