The first week is complete and this has been tough. It is too easy to get distracted and work on all these posts. But here I am sitting in front of my laptop while watching the Packers v Saints on TV.
Reviewing our list so far:
-Day 1: Metroid: Other M
-Day 2: Batman: Arkham Asylum
-Day 3: inFAMOUS
-Day 4: Street Fighter 4
-Day 5: Rock Band 2
-Day 6: Portal
-Day 7: Bioshock
Now, Day 8
God of War
-Playstation 2, March 22, 2005
When this game was first bandied about, I made fun of it.
Why?
Everything I heard about it was that it was like Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, and Prince of Persia put together. Hearing this I began to call it "Ninja Prince of War May Cry" to piss off my best friend Jai, who was this games most staunch supporter even before actually playing it.
Even after playing the demo at work, I was still unconvinced. Unfortunately for God of War there was a game that had just come out that consumed me for about 6 months (we will get into THAT game much later, obviously) After that time had passed, I decided to give the game a shot. I did not buy the game mind you, I was lucky that my brother had purchased it and borrowed it from him to give it a spin.
While I will still to this day contend that the other game I was playing is superior, God of War is a mighty epic worthy of praise. It is the video game equivalent of an epic action movie. Ridiculous amounts of enemies, overwhelming and unnecessary violence (see comparison to Ninja Gaiden above) and at the time visually stunning. Greek mythology played out in an ultra violent opera of revenge and destruction. You do not just want vengeance, you NEED it.
In regards to game play. It was one of the early games to implement the reactionary cut scene button press mechanic used all over the place today. You are watching an epic battle play out and are suddenly called upon to react by pressing the corresponding button on the screen or face the game over screen. The combat system with all the moves and combos was fresh back then, the only game that had a similar system was Devil May Cry (see above again). The also managed to sneak in some platforming and puzzle elements that played like Prince of Persia (beating a dead horse here).
Seriously it is a great game that inspired countless clones and sold a ton of games. The primary reason I give this game so much crap is because it drives my best friend Jai insane when I do.
Tomorrow another game from 2005, that ironically came out the same day as today's entry. Weird.
No comments:
Post a Comment