The streak was almost derailed by StarFox64 on 3DS showing up today. I really love this game (foreshadowing!!! bum bum bum).
Ahem, back to work. I can go save the Lylat system AFTER I make this post!
To review:
-Day 1: Metroid: Other M
-Day 2: Batman: Arkham Asylum
-Day 3: inFAMOUS
-Day 4: Street Fighter 4
-Day 5: Rock Band 2
-Day 6: Portal
Now, Day 7
Bioshock
-Xbox360 (PC and later on Playstation 3) August 21, 2007
Very rarely do I ever get "scared" while playing a video game. I mean truly fearful, not the overdone jump shock of the old PS1 era Resident Evil games where a dog jumps through a window when you do not expect it. There were several instances where I had LEGIT FEAR during Irrational Games and Ken Levine's creation, Bioshock.
This was NOT a first person shooter. To classify it as such would undermine the carefully crafted story and world that was sewn together. Rapture was a dead city full of shattered dreams and broken people. The mere presence of a "Big Daddy" would make any man question why he took that turn around a corner. The twists and turns that the plot takes you on are unexpected and the huge plot twist at the apex of the game prior to the denouement was truly epic.
The gameplay was also fantastic. I found myself avoiding the use of my gun, rather wielding the awesome powers and abilities you gain throughout the game. The first time you wipe out a group of "splicers" with a bolt of lightning from your fingertips onto various convenient puddles of water is funny and satisfying at the same time.
I conserved ammunition for the specific purpose of killing the aforementioned "Big Daddy" due to the terror associated with them. These monoliths of anger and destruction deserved the full brunt of any munitions saved for them. The first time a Big Daddy runs you through with it's drill arm is as terrifying as it is impressive.
All this being said, you would think a game like this would be in my Top 10, especially with the way I am showering it with praise. I only had one major problem with this game. After the first time you play it, that's it. All that fear, terror and tremendous revelations only work the FIRST TIME. This is not a game that has very good replay value. The shocker is SO BIG that replaying the beginning gives you a sense of "eh, that's cute how this is all going on, BUT I KNOW THE TRUTH!!!!" It is very much like "The Sixth Sense" of video games. Once you know, you cannot un-know.
Still an epic game that should be recommended gaming for anyone that respects quality gaming and quality storytelling.
Tomorrow, 2005 is a really REALLY good year for gaming, at least in my opinion.
No comments:
Post a Comment