Monday, September 12, 2011

Dre's Top 25 Games: The NOT top 10 Entry 12

It was pretty great today when I realized I had not written any outlines or had any notes prepared for the upcoming Top 10. These next four days are gonna be interesting as I finish the Not Top 10 and try and get ahead on the big ones.

Flip back and rewind it back:

-Day 1: Metroid: Other M
-Day 2: Batman: Arkham Asylum
-Day 3: inFAMOUS
-Day 4: Street Fighter 4
-Day 5: Rock Band 2
-Day 6: Portal
-Day 7: Bioshock
-Day 8: God of War
-Day 9: Lumines
-Day 10: Halo 2
-Day 11: Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Day 12:

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
-GameCube (Also on Playstation 2, Xbox and PC) October 31, 2003

This game is the greatest movie license game I have ever played. Never before has a licensed game EVER made you feel like you were playing out the action and adventure of the movie.

The developers at EA Redwood Shores must have remembered the old Gauntlet arcade game and took the overwhelming horde formula from that and applied it to the Lord of the Rings, which was an AWESOME idea. The epic scale and environments were translated into a LAST GEN game! The music score and movie clips fading in and out of the gameplay really gives you the feeling that you ARE Aragorn and Gandalf.

The battle of Pelennor Fields had the scale of a giant war that I have never experienced in a video game. Defending the walls of Minas Tirith as Gandalf was chilling and overwhelming. Making the last stand at the gates of Mordor to give Frodo the time to destroy the One Ring made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

When I originally got my hands on the game way back when it came out, I played it for 8 straight hours. I played until my hands ached and head hurt. It was THAT addicting in my opinion. I could dig this game out of my collection and do another playthrough today. It was just that good.

Tomorrow is the third game from the Fall of 2003 to show up on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment