Finally, the project I have labored over for a very long time is finally coming to fruition. For the next 25 days I will attempt to post each day an entry of my favorite 25 games of all time (until I play something that blows me away and breaks into this list). I will not necessarily rank them, but I will sort of quantify them. I will present the 15 "honorable mentions" and then the "top 10". Why am I doing that? I started with just the top 10 a while ago and realized I was leaving out a bunch of other games that I oh so love and decided to expand it to 25. I will present the "honorable mentions" to you in reverse chronological order starting with the most recent and then when we get to the "top 10" I will flip it back to normal chronological order. So let's go.
METROID: OTHER M
-Nintendo Wii, August 31, 2010
This is probably the most shocking choice I will enter into this list because it was built up with so much hype and promise, but to the vast gaming community it was seen as a "disappointment" and a "lost opportunity" for a franchise that has seen great critical acclaim.
You can count me in the minority since I LOVED this game. I cracked my top 25 by bringing back the Metroid series to a more traditional sidescrolling(ish) style and getting (mostly) away from the first person emphasis of the Metroid Prime series (which I am NOT a fan of for the record). While the plot was forced and non-sensical, and the dialogue was horrible, the actual meat and potatoes of the game was the fast action of each battle that requires quick decisions and fast button presses. The game was a hybrid of Super Metroid (SNES) and Ninja Gaiden (XBOX) that filled the action need that was missing for me in the summer of 2010.
AND the actual ACTION of the game is what was important to me. When I bring up to people that I LOVE this game it is met with scowls and jeers. YES, they made Samus in to an annoying emo whiner instead of the silent badass we all grew up with. Easy solution: when a cutscene appears, MUTE your TV and wait till the awesome returns.
It truly saddens me that so many gamers are missing out on one of the greatest boss fights EVER IN ANY GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED, simply over some shit dialogue that can be easily ignored. IT'S NOT A MOVIE PEOPLE, IT'S A GAME! THAT YOU PLAY!
ARGH /rant over
anyway, the game hidden behind all the story was a love letter to Metroid fans. I do not recall playing old Metroid games for the story, it was for the action. That action was a symphony of violence mixed with the vast exploration of classic Metroid. And I do not give a damn what anyone says, this is my opinion and I am sticking to it. That's the whole point of this.
Tomorrow: Summer 2009 brings an epic action game.
No comments:
Post a Comment